Stillbay River Lodge – Stilbaai River Lodge
Self-catering Accommodation & Events Boutique Venue just outside Stilbaai just off the road entering the town. Stillbay River Lodge is a stately whitewashed double storey thatched roof house which used to be a popular Restaurant and Bed & Breakfast. The current owners also own the well-known Stables Eatery & Bar which is situated right next to the Lodge. This boutique venue offers intimate rooms as well as ample communal living spaces where guests can interact.
The renovated historic homestead has an unpretentious old world charm about it what with the broad passages, chandeliers and small multi-paned windows. The front door opens into a small foyer with red earthen tiles, large mirrors as well as a staircase with sturdy handrails on the left. A large red wall clock on the opposite wall from the front door adds a dash of colour lightening up the greyish walls. There are framed black and white photos of old Still Bay and the old homestead as well as larger than life framed mirrors on the walls. Also two salmon coloured Victorian style chairs and a chandelier, adding to the old world charm which enfolds you like a cloak upon entrance.
Excellent View of the Goukou River
Along the front of the house is a covered veranda (stoep) equipped with outdoor furniture. From this vantage point guests can enjoy the view of the Goukou River. Also the breathtaking sunsets and the smooth black water reflecting the town’s lights after dark. You might even be lucky enough to spot the bush pig or a bush buck family grazing on the lawn right next to the house. Or may be you will glimpse an owl hunting for prey. Indeed a very different kind of night-life from that of the city!
This self-catering Lodge is close to all necessary amenities and the Stables restaurant is right next door. Saving those preferring not to prepare their own food the hassle.
Functions at Stillbay River Lodge in Still Bay East
The boutique venue with its capability of accommodating 22 guests as well as large living area, is perfect for holding functions and events. There is a fully equipped kitchen with a large scullery, small bar area, dining room as well as lounge, all opening onto the covered veranda. Also on the ground level is the Deluxe Queen Room as well as a bathroom for the use of guests other than the house guests.
The Lodge not only offers a great venue for an event, but also accommodation for the guests, such as a wedding. Guests might come from far to attend and will need a place to sleep and dress, and so does the bride. They will, of course take care of the catering for events held in the Lodge.
Accommodation at Stillbay River Lodge
This self-catering Lodge can offer sleeping accommodation to 22 guests spread over 8 rooms at one given time. Guests share many communal facilities such as the kitchen, living space and garden.
All the bedrooms, except the Deluxe Queen are located on the top level and only accessible by one flight of stairs from the foyer. There is one bedroom on the ground floor with a private entrance from outside the house as well as one from inside.
The following are applicable to all rooms:
- Bedding, linen and bath towels provided (bring own beach towels, please)
- Bed lamps
- Coffee and tea-making tray
- Dressing table with mirror
- En suite bathroom with toilet, basin as well as a shower only
- Flat screen TV with satellite channels
- Free WiFi
- Hair dryer
- No smoking
- Small wardrobe
Deluxe Queen (1 unit)
This room is on the ground level and has a private entrance from the patio as well as another entrance from the house. The room is more or less wheelchair accessible and from there the ground level of the house is of course also accessible.
This is the biggest room with the largest bathroom and is really private, thus perfect as executive room, bridal room or honeymoon room, etc. It has a queen size bed and the bathroom in this room also sports a bidet and a sliding door. The room has a view of the garden as well as the fynbos at the back of the house.
Queen Rooms (4 units)
These rooms have queen size beds. Some of the rooms have a view of the river and garden, while others have a view of the garden or fynbos areas.
Double Rooms (1 unit)
This is the smallest room in the house and has a double bed. It sits at the back end of the top level of the house with a view of the garden and Stables restaurant.
Twin Rooms (2 units)
These rooms come with 4 single beds each, two of which are in a small loft area accessible by a steep ladder without handrails.
There is a fully equipped kitchen for self-catering to the disposal of all guests. The kitchen has a gas stove (hob only – no oven), fridge-freezer combination, microwave oven as well as a dishwasher. Also a kettle, toaster, cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery, a scullery and a pizza oven.
There is a large living area consisting of a dining area with small tables and chairs opening onto the veranda. Also a lounge area with comfortable chairs and a small bar area, each with a door to the veranda. In addition free WiFi access is available from anywhere in the house.
Apart from the en suite bathrooms in all the rooms, there is also a communal bathroom on the ground level. There are toilets, urinals, hand-wash basins, mirrors as well as one shower.
Garden and Outdoor Braai
The house is surrounded with grass and trees and a few flowering plants with scattered outdoor furniture to sit and watch the birds. Because of the bush bucks roaming around free and eating everything, there is not much of a formal garden. On the periphery of the grounds the unique fynbos of the Garden Route area takes the place of a formal garden
Guests are of course welcome to make use of the outdoor braai facilities.
Facilities at Stillbay River Lodge in Still Bay East
- Children welcome
- Communal dining room and also lounge
- Communal kitchen – of course fully equipped for self-catering
- Covered balcony/veranda
- Credit card facilities (MasterCard , Visa)
- Fire extinguisher
- Free WiFi
- Laundry facilities – washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing board as well as iron
- No pets allowed
- No smoking inside
- Outdoor braai/barbecue facilities
- Parking on the premises
- Satellite TV
- Cleaning services
- Airport shuttle can be facilitated
Activities and Attractions in Still Bay and Surrounds
- Hop over the road with your canoe and walk down to the river for a glorious time on the water.
- Blue Flag beaches for swimming and sun bathing, surfing in the breakers, scuba diving, as well as windsurfing and body boarding and more. The Goukou River for canoeing, water skiing, fishing, paddling as well as boating.
- Nature lovers can enjoy bird-watching, hiking, mountain biking, game drives in the area, as well as whale watching in the winter.
- For the curious there are various places to visit such as the ancient fish traps and the shell middens of the ancient people. Also the Blombos Caves, the indigenous garden ‘Tuin op die Brak’ as well as the feeding of the eels. Visit the cheese-producing farm, Kasselshoop or also the local gin distillery for a taste of their gin.
- Still Bay also boasts a lovely golf course, bowling green, tennis courts, squash courts as well as jukskei, chess and miniature golf (Putt-Putt).
- Various gift shops, clothing stores, grocery stores, flea markets as well as side-walk fruit and vegetable stalls. Still Bay also offers various restaurants, real estate agents as well as night life and events organised with holiday makers in mind. There are three banks as well as various ATM’s and one petrol station in town as well as one a few kilometres outside town on the way to Riversdale.
- Still Bay has available all the necessary emergency services such as doctors, pharmacies, dentists as well as vets. Also an efficient and competent S A Police Station and a highly responsive and capable NSRI Station. (National Sea Rescue Institute)
Stillbay River Lodge Boek Direk en Spaar
Selfsorg akkommodasie en onthaalplek vir funksies in Stilbaai-Oos. Hierdie statige afgewitte dubbelverdieping grasdakhuis was tot onlangs ‘n gewilde restaurant en Bed & Ontbyt. Die huidige eienaars besit ook die Stables restaurant wat reg langsaan geleë is, so gaste wat nie self wil kosmaak nie, kan sommer daar gaan eet.
Die huis het ‘n groot stoep aan die voorkant waarvandaan gaste so teen skemer die wonderskone sonsondergange kan geniet. Verder het die huis het ‘n lieflike uitsig oor die Goukourvier. Saans kan gaste heerlik ontspanne sit en kyk na die weerkaatsing van Stilbaai se liggies op die spieëlgladde inkswart water. Jy mag ook gelukkig wees om die bosvark te sien wat daarlangs hou, of dalk so ‘n paar bosbokkies wat in die tuin kom wei. Of ‘n uil wat geruisloos verbyswiep op sy jagtog.
Jy kan jou kano vat, oor die pad wip en afdraf rivier toe vir ‘n verfrissende roeisessie al met die rivier langs. Hier is nie krokkodille nie…
Funksies by die Lodge
Die lodge en boutique venue bied nie net akkommodasie aan nie, maar is ook die perfekte plek om funksies aan te bied. Die groot toegeruste kombuis en ruim leefarea, klein kroegie en so ook die breë toemaakbare onderdak stoep, is ideaal daarvoor. Daar is ook ‘n gaste badkamer beskibaar met verskeie toilette, urinale, wasbakke, spieëls en so ook selfs ‘n stort.
Tydens ‘n funksie soos bv. ‘n troue, kan die Lodge, bo en behalwe die aanbied van die funksie, ook slaapplek vir gaste verskaf.
Akkommodasie by die Lodge
Daar is 8 kamers wat altesaam 22 persone kan huisves. Gaste deel fasiliteite soos die volledig toegeruste kombuis, eetkamer, sitkamer, stoep, buitebraaigeriewe en so ook die tuin. Daar is ook ‘n gemeenskaplike badkamer op die grondvlak vir die gerief veral van gaste wat slegs ‘n funksie bywoon. Die kamers het elkeen sy eie badkamer.
Daar is 1 kamer op grondvlak en 7 kamers op die boonste vlak wat verskil in grootte. Die boonste vlak kan slegs d.m.v. ‘n stel trappe uit die voorportaal bereik word.
- Een Deluxe kamer op die grondvlak met ‘n koningingrootte bed en ‘n privaatingang vanaf die stoep en so ook ‘n ingang vanuit die huis. Hierdie en-suite badkamer het ook ‘n bidet.
- Vier Kamers bo met koningingrootte beddens.
- Een Kamer bo (die kleinste) met ‘n dubbelbed.
- Twee Kamers bo met 4 enkelbeddens elk. Twee beddens in die kamer self, en twee in ‘n klein soldervertrekkie in dieselfde kamer met ‘n baie steil leer op na die vertrekkie.
Van toepassing op alle kamers
- Beddegoed, linne en so ook badhandoeke word voorsien
- En-suite badkamer met stort, toilet, wasbak
- Geen rokery in die kamers
- Gratis WiFi
- Koffie- en teemaakskinkbord
- Platskerm TV met satellietkanale
- Spieëltafel met groot spieël
Geriewe by Stillbay River Lodge in Stilbaai-Oos
- Geen binneshuise rokery
- Geen troeteldiere
- Gemeenskaplike kombuis, eetkamer en so ook sitkamer
- Gratis Internettoegang
- Gratis parkering op die perseel
- Kinders welkom
- Koffie- en teemaakskinkbord
- Kredietkaartfasiliteite (MasterCard, Visa)
- Onderdak stoep
- Satelliet TV
- Vervoer van en na die lughawe kan gereël word
- Wasgoedfasiliteite (wasmasjien, tuimeldroër, yster en strykplank)